The global automotive industry has already proven to the public that the electric car is a modern automobile that will soon completely replace vehicles with an internal combustion engine. What does this mean? The automobile industry will switch to so-called clean technologies: conservation of natural resources, elimination of the release of harmful substances into the atmosphere, and minimization of the cost of operation and maintenance of equipment. Let’s not use Tesla cars as an example here but such car manufacturing monsters as BMW, Toyota, Mercedes, Fiat, and Kia, which immediately picked up the baton. There are vehicles on the market that aren’t only attractive from the outside but also superior to cars with a fuel engine in terms of technical characteristics.
As you know, electric cars are using special electric motors that actuate the vehicle. And here, the first significant difference from the internal combustion engine is size. The electric motor has a more compact design than a similar internal combustion engine. The reason is the battery and its capacity. For an electric car, this is the most important and most expensive element. Instead, for a fuel engine, volume is more important. Another distinctive feature of the electric car is a single-stage gearbox, which controls the wheels through conventional half-axles.
Systems that cause regular problems in the stable operation of a fuel car have been excluded from the configuration of an electric car. The electric vehicle doesn’t have:
- exhaust gas system;
- belt drives;
- filter system;
- the need to use technical fluids.
The components of the electric car are suitable for programming, which opens up new possibilities in the use of the vehicle, however wrecked cars show problems in details which are not tested enough, but already used by manufacturers.
Electric Vehicle Service Features
At first glance, an electric car is a perfect automobile that needs no maintenance. However, this is a machine that has its strengths and weaknesses. All nuances should be taken into account for the comfortable operation and maintenance of an electric vehicle. For example, the use of the car in winter and summer, changing the battery, or checking the brake system and running gear. Depending on the time of year, an electric car requires the owner’s attention, especially if we are talking about budget models.
Excess heat is released into the atmosphere through the electric car’s cooling system. In summer, when the temperature exceeds 95 ⁰С, the system may not be enough. Powerful electric vehicles are equipped with a coolant supply system for batteries and motors. Even in this case, you should monitor the performance of the car. Inspect sensors in the case of:
- Fast charging. Each battery generates heat as it accumulates a charge. It occurs naturally due to the contact of the battery case with the environment. Effective heat exchange depends on the temperature difference. In hot air, the battery practically does not cool down, which leads to its overheating. As a result, the electronics reduce current consumption from the network or break the electrical circuit at a critical temperature. The latter will prevent the battery from catching fire, but the energy reserve will not be filled until the cells have completely cooled down. Under such circumstances, a full charge will require much more time.
- Active driving. In the process of movement, the battery gives off more energy and, accordingly, heats up more. In models with liquid cooling, batteries don’t suffer. Keep in mind cars with an air-cooling system may not cope with the load. However, the main thing here is not to stop but simply to lessen the speed—the incoming air currents will help reduce the temperature and cool the battery.
Cars on liquid fuel are characterized by the same operating features.
Parts for electric cars don’t require the use of lubricants. If the internal combustion engine system needs constant monitoring and replacement of engine oil, then in an electric vehicle it’s not necessary to do this. The working elements of the electric car are the battery that is responsible for starting the high-voltage motor. Therefore, once every 3–5 years, it’s necessary to replace the starter battery, just like in ordinary automobiles with internal combustion engines. There are no pistons, valves, or gears in the design. Therefore, a systematic oil change in an electric car is not required.
Battery and Electricity
The battery of a modern electric car is an intelligent, high-tech system with a self-regulating function. The device will prevent the occurrence of harmful factors that can negatively affect its operation. The processor built into the vehicle monitors the charge level of the system. However, there are several details in the battery’s interaction with electricity that can shorten its life or, on the contrary, extend it:
- Fast charging station. The direct current power is 100 kW or more, which allows you to charge the battery for up to 60 minutes. This charge is enough for the full distance of your electric car, and in the modern world of the automotive industry, it can be about 250 miles. However, it’s better to give preference to charging stations with a capacity of up to 50 kW, which will provide a more stable power supply for the vehicle.
- Charging 100%. An electric car owner may strive to reach a charge level of 100%. However, it will be much more useful to have some undercharge in the range of 90% for lithium batteries.
Despite all the battery controllers, it’s recommended to use the interior heating timer at low environmental temperatures and leave the vehicle on charge until the time of departure in order to avoid a conflict between the battery and electricity.
Without any doubt, electric cars will become the key technological solution in the modern automotive industry. However, there are some features and distinctions a car enthusiast should know when considering an electric vehicle. We have tried our best to reveal them in this article with the hope you have taken something useful from it.
Lucas Noah is the Founder of TrendyPort and he covers a variety of Content but has a special passion for Technology. He is being interested in Android Devices, Home Automation, Tech and gadgets, Tech Reviews for years.