Many of us love to stay in shape and look good. Maintaining a healthy weight will not only keep you in good shape but it will also keep you safe from many diseases. Today we are going tell you whether your weight is healthy or not. Some people think that they are overweight or obese but the real case is that they are really in good shape and healthy weight. So following is the way to check whether you are actually underweight, overweight or obese;
Note that you can only use the above graph if your age is 18 or above. This means that this graph is only for adult men and women.
- To determine your weight category, first see the point where your weight is from the horizontal lines of the graph.
- Then check for the point where your height lies from the vertical lines in the graph.
- Then by determining the point where your height and weight meets you can see if you are underweight ,healthy weight, overweight, obese or very obese.
If you are underweight you can follow a diet and exercise plan for healthy weight gain.
If you are in healthy weight range you have proper weight for your height.
But it is still important to eat a balanced diet including physical activities to stay in good health and shape. Adults should do physical activities for at least 150 minutes every week.
Overweight, obese or very obese
If you are in any of these ranges your body has more weight than the healthy weight. Being in these weight categories put you in risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
Note the above chat is not suitable for you if you have a very muscular build.
- If you have lots of muscles, this chart might put you in overweight or obese categories even if you have less body fat.
- What is actually determined in Obesity or overweight is your body fat.
- People with more muscle build has more muscle mass than fat mass in body. Hence it is not correct to categorize them to obese and overweight categories. But this will not apply to most people.
Waist circumference is another measurement that you can do to determine if you are overweight or obese.
Following is a guide to correctly measure waist circumference:
- First stand and place a tape measure around your middle, just above your hipbones
- Then make sure tape is horizontal around the waist
- Then keep the tape snug around the waist, but do not compress the skin
- Measure your waist just after you breathe out.
How to interpret waist circumference?
It is unhealthy to have;
- more than 40 inches of waist circumference for a man.
- more than 35 inches of waist circumference for a non-pregnant woman
If you have higher waist circumference, then you need to follow a proper diet and exercise plan to lose weight. Upcoming articles might help you to achieve this.
Hope this article helped you to get to know your weight as the first step of the path to lose weight. Stay tuned for more articles about tips on losing weight.